Morpheus Data just released v5.2 of it’s hybrid-cloud management platform and with it comes a ton of exciting new production-ready capabilities. We’ve already touched on the 5.0 updates (also below for your reference), but I’d like to highlight some of the added capabilities. We are excited about this 5.2 Long Term Support release and the great value it brings!
In case you missed the 5.0 News Release, please check it out here!
5.2 LTS release brings some great capabilities beyond what was added in the 5.0 Technical Preview.
- Integrated Security Scanning – Reduce risk exposure and improve security posture
- Service Catalog Persona expansion – Workflow support
- Blueprint Enhancements – Simplify complex multi-tier applications
- And COMING SOON!!! a new expanded version of the Morpheus – ServiceNow plugin
Security and security posture continues to be a number 1 concern for organizations. Morpheus has added the ability to perform Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP) scanning against Linux and Windows Workloads. Import the relevant SCAP content, create the scan jobs, run the jobs, and view the results and reports. Morpheus will show the security posture of the workload(s), and provide SCAP reports with the detailed results.
View and drill into the SCAP reports in context for additional details, and information on how to remediate the non compliant conditions.
Service Catalog Persona – Workflow support
5.2 added Operational Workflow support in addition to the already added Instance and Blueprint support. Operational Workflows provide virtually limitless automation possibilities outside of application provisioning for more simplicity and more XaaS. Here are some KB article examples on using Operational Workflows with Ansible playbooks as well as leveraging option lists to take user inputs and pass values into scripts.
Make Morpheus Operational Workflows available for order from the Service Catalog and run them against selected targets.
Simplify application provisioning by masking unneeded complexity from users. In addition to locking fields, administrators can now hide fields from view during provisioning. Simply toggle the lock / unlock / hide button.
PLUS all the below from the 5.0 release!!!!
Below is a feature summary of the 5.0 release. I’ll highlight a few of the cool and exciting new capabilities.
The Morpheus 5.0 release features the following:
- Service Catalog Persona
- An Invoicing UI (previously API and CLI only)
- New Reporting UI and new reports
- New cloud integration to Canonical Bare Metal as a Service (Canonical BMaaS)
- Improvements to AWS Costing and Reporting
- The ServiceNow plugin is now certified for the Paris release of the NOW platform
- Many UI enhancements
- Many API / CLI enhancement
- And so much more. Check out the Release Notes on v5.0 for more details
Lets me touch on a couple of the bullets listed above.
Service Catalog Persona
This is a new persona designed to provide a simple shopping cart experience. Organizations want the ability to provide a real simple self-service application provisioning and automation experience to users with minimal input. With this Service Catalog person, ordering becomes a breeze, let’s take a look. Early feedback is that people love this!
From the Catalog page, order the services you want, and they get added to the cart. Review the order(s) from the cart, and Place the order. This will trigger the provisioning process.
Now view the services and applications you own in the Inventory page, and have the option to view the their details!
Obviously, the RBAC capabilities have been updated to assign the persona permissions, as well as the desired service and application blueprints.
Invoicing UI for the major public clouds
Previously available via API and CLI only, this now comes to life in the UI with v5.0. You’ll notice a new Costing menu that encompasses Budgets, Invoices, and Usage. In the Invoicing sub-menu option you are able to filter on the data in may different ways, and even dig into the individual invoices to view the line item details. Wanna see the historical costs, no problem, you get that too! Additionally, this page has the advanced filtering capabilities, so you can view the data as you like and export it as needed.
New Reporting UI and Reports
These are just a subset of the exciting new changes. There’s so much more… Be sure to check out the Release Notes on v5.2 for more details
Morpheus 5.2 Resources
There’s a ton of new document content for the 5.2 release. Here are some highlights:
- Personas (Service Catalog Persona): https://docs.morpheusdata.com/en/5.2.0/personas/personas.html
- Self-Service (Catalog item builder): https://docs.morpheusdata.com/en/5.2.0/tools/self-service.html
- Invoices User Interface: https://docs.morpheusdata.com/en/5.2.0/operations/costing.html#invoices
- Reports: https://docs.morpheusdata.com/en/5.2.0/operations/reports.html
- Metal as a Service (MaaS): https://docs.morpheusdata.com/en/5.2.0/integration_guides/Clouds/maas/maas.html
- Creating and Running Security Scans: https://docs.morpheusdata.com/en/5.2.0/provisioning/jobs/jobs.html#creating-and-running-security-scan-jobs
Try the Morpheus Community Edition!
The Morpheus Community Edition lets you fully experience the Morpheus platform including nearly all features and capabilities! Register at Morpheus Hub and try it in your lab or test environment today!
Have a great day!